4.14.2009

squeak.

Did i mention we had a mouse in the house? I was cooking with T a few weeks ago when he pointed at the floor and said (very excitedly), "yook! yook at that!" A little gray mouse was sauntering across the floor, and ducked under the fridge. I called the exterminators and they showed up with snap traps, sticky traps, and more bait stations. I assured the man that i was perfectly capable of disposing of any mouse that was caught by such traps. Each night, i came home and surveyed the traps, only to find them empty. Apparently the mouse was not intrigued. Yesterday, before heading to my parents' for easter, i went down to the basement to switch a load of laundry. The laundry room smelled funny. I thought about all the poisoned bait traps that were all over the basement, and began looking for a rotting mouse carcass. Here's what the easter bunny left me:


It may have been the smell, the fact that this mouse was all wet and squished in the drain, or the combination of the two, but i began to seriously regret assuring the guy i could deal with this. Within a split second, i mentally went through the list of people i could conceivably recruit to dispose of said mouse, and came up with 0. When i realized that it would be me, i managed to get my wits about myself and came up with a plan. With rubber gloves pulled up to my elbows, i found two wooden skewers (since i would be disposing of anything that touched the mouse) and used them like chopsticks to move the mouse into the waiting bags. After the whole kit-and-caboodle was in the outside garbage, i proceeded to bleach the entire area, and then spent an hour sanitizing anything a mouse could have conceivably touched, nibbled, pooped on, scurried over, etc, etc. Needless to say, i didn't get any school work done (as planned) before leaving to celebrate easter. As it was, i only had fifteen minutes to shower and get ready. Blech.

3 comments:

portia said...

BLECHHHHHH!!!! So sorry you had to deal with that, girl! you're so brave... I'm such a baby hahahahaha =P

Nora said...

Yucky Yucky! I should add I read this while eating lunch. NOT ADVISED.

Evil said...

fans of here.to.here demand more posts!