3.05.2009

intern.ship.

I'm suppose to be working on a paper right now, so this is just a quick update about my internship for those who care (probably mom, dad and grandma). 
The inpatient floor (m and t) has been busier with some older kids who can actually do stuff. This is good. I've been able to do more "real" child life stuff with them and have even been to some meetings that have to do with research studies on the floor (statistics!). 
Radiology (th and f) is my favorite. I started out observing all the prep and distraction during procedures, then moved up to distraction for vcugs, then prep for vcugs, and today i added an iv start/injection distraction in nuclear med, as well as mri prep to my list. Both went very well and gave my confidence a boost.
For my mgh project, i'm putting together a glossary of the most common diagnoses seen in radiology (and a few from the floor as well), and so far the list totals 40ish. Not surprisingly, i love doing this and have learned a bunch about the most common childhood cancers, inflammatory bowel diseases, pdd, etc. Good stuff.
The craziness is that we're halfway through this internship already. We've even been contacted about setting up our next internship which will take place in the fall. I'm hoping for an operating room or emergency department placement. For now though, it's back to this paper. I'm tired.

1 comment:

portia said...

sounds awesome steph! so glad it's all going well for you. good luck on your paper!