1.19.2009

my.date.with.myself.

Yesterday was the boston youth symphony orchestra's performance of figaro at harvard's sanders theater. Initially my mom was going to be my date, but the big snow storm (what? snow in boston?) made driving in, or even to the commuter rail, impossible. So i called a bunch of people and e-mailed a few more, but everyone was busy or with similar driving issues. Since i love classical music, i figured i'd go by myself, and i'm really glad i did. After an hour long bus and T ride over there, i got all cozy in my two sixth row seats and heard the story of figaro- one i wasn't familiar with. The kids were fantastic, and accompanied the opera singers beautifully. They even had translations so you could follow along with what they were singing. After the three and a half hour performance, i treated myself to wine, dinner and dessert at finale. I had a gift certificate so completely enjoyed the free meal. I've never been one to shy away from going to a movie or dinner by myself, but often don't have the opportunity. It was nice to sit quietly and enjoy the music and meal without having another person to distract me. Maybe i'll start doing this more often.

4 comments:

And said...

Oh I'm really sorry I couldn't go, but so glad you treated yourself and had a wonderful time!

portia said...

Again, so sorry I couldn't have joined you-- would have been much better than having to go to work! But I'm glad you had a great time =)

Nora said...

This is a cute post.

Unknown said...

Steph,
Thanks for including Finale in your day of blissful solitude! As a father of four, I'm quite jealous of your quality "alone" time! Cheers, Paul Conforti, Finale Co-founder (paul@finaledesserts.com)