2.18.2008

movie.review.

I saw two movies today in preparation for next sunday's oscar awards- "juno" and "there will be blood." I usually try to see all of the best picture nominees, but this year i'm way behind. I'll be lucky to get three of the five in. I like to do double movies, and these two worked out perfectly timing wise. They also looked like the most likely to win the award.
There will be blood was up first. At 157 minutes, it was a long one, but there were only a few times i glanced at my watch. It was a rough movie- a story about daniel, an oil tycoon and his young son on their trek to become rich. We see the price of greed, and how it impacts all involved. While this wasn't an uplifting movie, and not my favorite by far, the character development was impressive, and made you develop strong feelings for both main characters. I wouldn't be surprised if this one wins multiple awards.
Next up was juno- a completely different type of movie. This one was about a pregnant teenager (juno) who decides to give the baby up for adoption and finds potential parents in a local newspaper. I loved this movie! It ended perfectly- not in the idealistic way, not in the depressing way, but with a perfect mix of everything. This is the one i'll be rooting for!

5 comments:

Nora said...

I loved both of these movies!

And said...

I was not so crazy about juno...it felt like a rip off to me. But I haven't seen the others either.

stephanie said...

What??? I loved juno!!!!!! I'd go and see it again, which i can't say about most movies. I'm surprised you didn't like it.

And said...

I liked it...but I just felt like I'd seen it before-- even the name, "Juno" was similar to the movie "Junebug".

Pat R said...

finally got to see the infamous There Will Be Blood... Daniel-Day Lewis' performance was top-notch. He takes well to the overbearing, violent father-figure role -- he also did this in Gangs of New York.