11.07.2007

battery.power.

I thought my computer died. It kept turning itself off, and on monday, it wouldn't turn back on. I called the hp tech support (again) and had an overly frustrating time with them. Their computers were down (that's reassuring), they insisted my computer was 600 something days out of warranty (it has another three and a half months), and they made me repeat my info over and over again. I'm not racist, but I really was annoyed with the indians. Normally it's a fairly painless experience- they overnight me a box with packing material, I overnight it back (for free), they keep it for a day or two, and overnight it back to me all fixed. Since their computers were down, I was told they'd call me with a case number, and they never did. I called them last night, and was ready to punch someone by the time I got off the phone. Long story short(er), my sad laptop's still here, and I asked my dad to bring in my grandad's laptop so I could use it while mine's repaired. Since we're all spoiled and can't last a day without the internet, we've all borrowed it at one time or another. His laptop's actually the same as mine, but it has a better battery. I stuck his on my laptop to see if it would work, and it did- which means that there's some issue with my battery or cord, or the connection between the two. I'll still send it in for repairs, but at least was able to update the info on my external hard drive so I won't lose anything if they reset the hard drive again. The greatest part was the battery life with the big fancy battery. My battery lasts for 7 mins, literally, when it's charged to 100%. It used to be longer- like 3 hours tops, but now goes into hibernation when I unplug it and run the twenty feet from the living room to my bedroom. With the fancy battery, I can actually leave the cord in one room, and use the laptop in another room for an extended period of time. Like now for example. The battery shows 87% charge, and 6hrs 3mins left. I know what's going to be number one on my christmas list.

5 comments:

Evil said...

you dont need a computer. just go back to pen and paper. kickin it old skool.

And said...

you should get a mac.

Nora said...

I just read an article in business week regarding the fact that people in high positions have their own personal IT person that fixes this stuff for them at all hours, even the middle of the night. While most other people have to wait hours/days/weeks. There is a lesson here...

stephanie said...

I'm serious when I say I don't know what I'd do without the internet. Pen and paper's way too much effort. I mean, I'm all for handwritten notes (especially thank you notes- people don't do that enough anymore) but I'm not writing 20 of them a day. It would be overkill, plus by the time I got a reply, it would be old news. Having said that, I am trying to increase my mail, so maybe I'll write all of you letters and see how many I get back. E-mail me your addresses, and once my e-mail's available again, I'll get right on that!
Ever since I was young, mac's have scared me. It's like learning a different language, and since I'm over 12, those brain connections aren't available anymore.
As for a personal it guy, I like it. That's why I'm looking to marry someone who's as cool as my dad.

And said...

Steph-- really, macs are super easy to use and there is no different language. they have great support and actually rarely have problems. I've had my most recent one for more than 4 years and have never ever had a problem.