11.08.2007

cooking.night...

...at nora's house. On the menu: polenta galettes with leek and swiss chard, beet salad with goat cheese and candied pecans, brie and apple soup, and carrot currant muffins. It was a cheesy night since nora's dish (the polenta) was topped with melted gruyere, my beet salad had goat cheese, and dali's soup had brie. It seemed appropriate for a cold fall night. I could see my breath when we were leaving. Since i was out in concord today, i picked up my ingredients at verrill farm, my new favorite place. I love cooking with fresh ingredients- it makes me feel healthy. I also love beets, and don't eat them enough. Maybe i'll pick up some more tomorrow, and make this salad again. I've decided that the perfect salad has to have some sort of nut and some sort of cheese to really make it exceptional. Otherwise it ends up kind of standard. This is one of my favorites now. Looking at the picture on the left is making my mouth water and I'm stuffed. The other three things were also great tonight, and very satisfying. There was so much food that it was hard to save room for the muffins. I think we sat at the table for at least an hour to free up space in a leg or arm. Aside from the obvious quality friend time, my favorite part about cooking night is making/eating things that i wouldn't necessarily cook for myself. It's a good way of broadening my horizons.

4 comments:

Evil said...

whoever's cutting those carrots... there's some bad knife technique going on! you're going to cut your fingers... be careful!

And said...

dude-- that's me!! i cook a lot and have never cut my fingers though...I could probably improve my knife technique.

Nora said...

Those beets were so good Steph. I want to eat more beets! Andrea, we could all improve our knife techniques... Evil why don't you come to one of our cooking nights and show us how to use knives?

Evil said...

cook with you cuties! yah! (just dont cut my fingers with your bad technique.)