8.26.2007

tentacles.

Today was the first day of the big move. It entailed bringing over the large pile of boxes I'd packed over the past month, along with my bed, dresser, and shelf. It was rough. Jen and I moved most of the boxes during the day, and then kevin came in around six to help with the big stuff. It definitely pays to have a very strong, 6'6" brother. He and I managed (somehow) to get the furniture downstairs, with only a little (ha!) trouble with the box spring and headboard. My room for the past seven years is on the third floor, with a very narrow and windy stairway as its only access. In order to get the full size box spring up in the first place, I'd had to cut the wood in three places to make it bendable. Getting it down should have been easier, but it wasn't at all. If I hadn't known it could fit, I would have sworn there was no way. We shoved it and twisted it enough that we emerged, sweaty and exhausted, with a bent box spring and some wall repairs in my near future. I'll definitely need a new one the next time I move, which hopefully won't be for some time. After the bed was in, the other stuff wasn't so bad. I unpacked what I'd brought over, and my new room is ready to go. The bed's made, the shelf's full, and it looks great. Unfortunately, I still have a large supply of furniture and other stuff left to move, the worst of which will be the tv cabinet I build a couple years ago. I've already convinced my dad to help out with that. In fact, we're recruiting people to come over on labor day to get the place set- painting, unpacking, hanging lights, lots of fun stuff will be going on. If you're around and interested, you're encouraged to come. Please don't be scared off by my previous invitation to paint. I do in fact wear paint clothes and use drop cloths, although I am meticulous about cutting in! As I packed today, I realized I'm like an octopus. I spread my tentacles all over the place, leaving things in so many places, that I'm not sure I'll ever truly get them all back. Maybe it's self-preservation though- years later, these guys will come across something I've left in a closet or basement and think of me.

No comments: