5.28.2007

freedom.hikers.

I hiked the freedom trail yesterday with *ja* and *ba*. I'd done it before- once as a little kid, and once a few years ago with *ac* and the boy she mentored. I figured it was a good thing to do since we were looking for a free/cheap way to play in boston. Plus, we got some good exercise- especially when climbing the 294 steps of the bunker hill monument. (As a side note for you history fans, the battle of bunker hill took place on my birthday, although several years before I was born.) We visited "old ironsides" and because we didn't take the (free) guided tour, we could only hang out on the top deck. I remember being a kid and visiting the ship with my dad. I thought it was so cool that the men got to sleep in hammocks. I'm sure those guys thought so too. We grabbed some grub in the north end, stopped for the requisite cannoli at mike's pastry, and watched some street performers in faneuil hall while enjoying said cannoli. We finished the day by walking through the common and the gardens before hopping the T back to our vehicles. All in all, the perfect day. Here's a picture of the boston skyline from the top of the bunker hill monument. I like this angle since the zakim bridge is included, up front and center, instead of off in the background or to the left like it usually is.

No comments: