5.29.2007

equal.oppurtunity.

Yesterday I went to the wrentham outlets with *ja*, her brother and their mother to give my opinion on new clothes for a european wedding they're going to in june. Since it's impossible for me to go there without spending any money, I gave myself an allowance. I figured it would be better to go there having decided to spend no more than a certain amount, rather than trying not to spend any, which wouldn't happen anyway. I managed to squeak in at $2 less than my limit. Nice. In one store, I was waiting to try stuff on, and there was a long line with only three fitting rooms. One woman asked an employee to open the handicapped room (which was empty), but she refused, saying if a handicapped person came in, they needed the room available. I found this ridiculous. There were seriously six or seven people waiting for the three rooms, and a perfectly good fitting room was wasted just in case someone in a walker or wheelchair came in. Why couldn't we use it, and if a handicapped person needed it, we could finish up? In fact, why can't handicapped people wait in line too? Shouldn't everyone be treated the same? If I were handicapped, I wouldn't want people babying me. I'd be all for equal opportunity, not reverse discrimination. There were some nice comfy chairs for them to sit in while the waited too. I wanted to kick that power hungry store employee.

2 comments:

And said...

my sister and I had a similar (and yet, not so similar) experience shopping on Saturday. The fitting room attendant at Wet Seal in downtown crossing would not let us try on strapless bras. Anyone who risks shopping (at age nearly 30 and nearly 25) in a store for teenagers knows that trying on is necessary. In the end we bought the bras ($5.50 each) and tried them on in the communal dressing room at Filene's Basement. We used the communal dressing rooms, by the way (instead of the regular rooms upstairs), because of the loooong line upstairs. The communal dressing room is also equal opportunity.

stephanie said...

She wouldn't let you try them on? That's just ridiculous. At least they were a very nice price, so buying without trying wasn't too rough. I give you credit for using the communal dressing room. I've only been in one of those once; when I was in ninth grade and went shopping with Jen and her mom somewhere. I had a skirt, but don't remember if I even tried it on- I was so embarrased for all those older women who were half naked in there!