3.02.2007

new.bag.

I'm having a dilemma. I decided that I want a new sleeping bag- not want so much as need, actually. I have two right now- one that's about 15 years old, and probably 5 pounds heavier than when I got it due to dust mites, and a seven year old one that I got for less than $25 (I think it was actually $22.88 on clearance) at target. I'm not sure why I thought it was okay to buy a sleeping bag at target. Don't get me wrong- it would be perfect for the overnight sleepover at a ten-year-old's house, but it's huge and heavy (and therefore not convenient to bring on the backpacking trip I'm planning to take sometime in the spring), and it's too short for me. I don't think that I realized they make sleeping bags in different lengths, but since I'm 5'9", one that's meant for people up to 5'6" doesn't quite cut it. My toes aren't happy being jammed at the bottom while my shoulders stick out at the top.
So- right now I'm faced with three issues:

1. The cut. Almost all the good sleeping bags are mummy shaped, which I feel rather claustraphobic in. My 15 year old one is a mummy, and I usually unzip about a foot of it from the bottom so I can stick a leg out. This is fine in the summer, but not so great when it's colder out. However, I don't want a regular rectangular one that won't be comfy and warm (as well as compressible), which brings me to number 2.

2. The warmth factor. My instinct is to go with a warmer rated sleeping bag- probably a three season that's in the lower temp range (three season's are usually between+15F to +32F). Though I've done it before, I can't really see myself camping in the snow anytime soon, so I'm not even considering a four-season bag. My only concern with this is that I'll be too hot in the warmer summer months when I'm more likely to use it. I suppose this isn't really a dilemma though, I can just unzip the whole thing.

3. Finally- whether to go with the down or synthetic fill. I haven't researched this one enough to even wager a guess.

All this came about when I got my rei membership dividend check in the mail today. Since I got a bunch of stuff there for my europe trip, I paid the fee, and now get back 10% of my yearly spendings for life. (You can bring the check to the store and request cash, but it's clearly made easier to apply it to future purchases.) Plus, until april 1st, I have an extra coupon for 20% off of one item- in this case, a sleeping bag. Boy oh boy. I need some input from all you outdoorsy readers! Here's one I'm considering right now.

3 comments:

stephanie said...

Update! I found out that mountain hardware makes bags with an expandable draft tube which gives an extra 8 inches of leg room. This is the perfect middle ground- a mummy bag that can become more roomy. Now I just have to decide if I want a heavier, synthetic, three season bag like this one, or a lighter, goose down, warmer weather bag like this one. Any input? Please?

And said...

I think the down ones are supposed to be warmer when you need them to be, and cooler when you need them to be. Kind of like silk, if that makes sense. The down are more expensive but I think are generally considered better...I just got a down mummy one last fall.

brian said...

Sorry, I've been out of town for a while. Last time I was looking at gear it seemed that synthetic had totally eclipsed down, and that the best you could say for down was "It's just about as good as synthetic, in most conditions." In particular, if there's any chance of it getting wet, synthetic will crush down for warmth and drying speed.

Sleeping bags are expensive! I bought one for Erik when we went camping late last year, and had to make sure it zipped together with mine, and so ended up getting him a North Face one, I think, and it was a lot. And then when he moved out he took it with him. I considered trying to pawn off *my* much older sleeping bag on him, and keep the nice new one, but decided that'd be a really tacky thing to do.