1.06.2007

wind.issues.

Today couldn't have been a nicer day. Temps reached the 70's, and the sun was out in full force at times. Instead of sitting on my butt inside all day, I went out to rollerblade at millennium park. I did the upper loop four times, and hung out on a bench overlooking the river and woods. The sky was deep blue, with puffy white clouds, and the contrast with the trees and river was great. (I wished I had my camera, but I probably would have wiped out and crushed it, so it's better that I didn't.) Since it's at the top of a hill, you get great views of the city as well as the blue hills (and the girls' school on top of their own hill). The only problem with being so high up, is that the same wind which makes this one of boston's best kite flying areas, also makes it close to impossible to rollerblade. The loop is a large oval. The short sides are no problem, but one of the long sides has you facing into the wind, so no matter how hard you work, you roll a few feet before stopping. It pretty much kicked my butt- my shins weren't happy. On the other hand, once you made it to the opposite long side, you pretty much just hung out, and the wind pushed you the whole way. I liked to give it a few pushes every so often so it looked like I was doing something, but really, I wasn't. I suppose the effort exerted on the hard side evens out the easy side, so I probably get just as much of a workout. Ah...the joys of a warm day in january.

No comments: