1.07.2007

i.need.a.light.bulb

I'm out of luck. The light bulb in my enlarger burnt out, and I can't find another one. I'm quite surprised that it lasted this long- I've had the enlarger for over five years now, with just one bulb. It's a weird one all right. It kind of looks like a refrigerator bulb, but it's white, has a crazy high wattage and voltage, and instead of a threaded base, it's smooth, with two bumps at the bottom. Anyway. I went to home depot first on the off chance they'd have it- which they didn't- and the guys sent me to an electrical supply store. The electrical supply store didn't have it either, so the next step was to look online. Unfortunately, the light bulb disappeared before I could do this, and since I bought the enlarger used, it didn't come with any info. My last ditch effort was to bring the head to a photo supply store (in this case, zeffs) in the hope that they could help me figure it out. It's a little bit of a drive to belmont, so I called them first to make sure they carried light bulbs. It was a good thing I did, because while they're regularly opened on sunday, today they were closed for inventory. They do carry bulbs, so it looks like I'll be taking a drive out there tomorrow.

2 comments:

brian said...

i got half of erik's silkscreening stuff (the half that home depot didn't sell) off www.dickblick.com, it's an art supply site. maybe you could try there? i'm just assuming an enlarger is something for photography. :)

stephanie said...

Ya- we have one of those stores nearby. It used to be "The Art Store." An enlarger is for photography- it's the only important thing, really. It's what you use to project the negative image onto the photo paper. Other than that, you just need chemical baths to develop them. Blicks doesn't really have photo stuff- they're more into the painting/drawing side of art. The other problem is that I don't have the dead bulb anymore, so I can't even go online to buy one since I'm not sure of the wattage/size/etc.I'm going to the photo store today, and hopefully they can figure out what one I need!