11.17.2006

new.soup.

Yesterday during my 90mins of cardio (for the turkey trot) I flipped through a cooking light magazine and found two recipes that looked good. One of them was a butternut squash and leek soup, which was perfect since I had a squash sitting on the counter at home just waiting for something to do. The other recipe was a three bean chili. I stopped by the grocery store on my way home from the gym today to pick up all the ingredients, and spent the afternoon cooking. The chili was my favorite. It has tons of veggies and other healthy stuff- zucchini, carrots, red pepper, onions, garlic, black beans, pinto beans, kidney beans, crushed tomato, tomato puree, some spices and water- and it's super thick and delicious. The squash soup wasn't as yummy. It was a bit too garlicky. I think if I made it again, I'd cut down on the garlic and add some extra butternut squash. I think I may keep up with this new cooking thing. Even though I'm not usually excited about, every once in a while I find it extremely satisfying.

4 comments:

brian said...

ooh, i have a favorite butternut squash soup recipe. actually i just found it online, the very same one from the very same cookbooks. it's this one: Butternut Squash Soup with Herbes de Provence. really simple, and with a few neat touches to make it fast to prepare (specifically, putting oatmeal in it and then pureeing the soup, the oatmeal thickens it and gives it a really nice texture, it's great.) the other trick with it is to spike it with just a little bit of balsamic vinegar right when you serve it, but not too much -- it's like salt, you want to use enough to heighten the other flavors, but not so much the soup tastes of vinegar.

for other good soups see my friend heidi's blog. i just made her thai-spiced pumpkin soup for cooking night and it was so simple but really really delicious. although the coconut milk makes it less of a healthy soup... still, it's not a ton of coconut milk given how much soup you get.

her "good soup for the sick" seems like it would be good, too. it's hard to go wrong making soup with hearty beans.

finally, if you want a nostalgic bean recipe, these baked beans will remind you of classic new england, durgin park, all that kind of thing. i made that recipe for our cooking night too, and it came out really, really well (but make sure to soak the soybeans for as long as it says, or even longer, 2 days is fine.) they have a fair amount of sugar thanks to the molasses, but still it's a pretty healthy meal. especially if you dig up a recipe for that moist brown bread, steamed in a can. that stuff is super good for you.

stephanie said...

Mmm...those all make me hungry. The good soup for the sick looks particularly good, along with the brown bread and baked beans. We used to have that as kids, but haven't had it in probably 15 years. I wonder why?

(By the way- I do try to comment on your blog, but it never lets me. It says you must be signed in to comment, and even after I sign in, it won't let me.)

brian said...

that's weird. i really need to move over to blogger, i just need to figure out how to import everything, ugh. if i turn the typekey thing off i get comment spam like you wouldn't believe.

stephanie said...

Ya- you should move over. Blogger's great. Plus, you're smart, so I'm sure you could figure out how to move your old posts fairly easily!