10.15.2006

leaf.peepers

Today was such a nice day. 58 degrees, sunny, perfect for the hike we'd planned a couple weeks ago. I picked *ac* up and we met *nn* at houghton pond in the blue hills and hiked the same trail as *nn* and I tackled a month or two ago. Apparently everyone else had the same idea because there were tons of people along the trails and at the observation tower. We asked this cute little old guy to take our picture once, and the two other times we saw him, he said, "Hi! It's the camera guy!" like we forgot him already. When I was a kid, I remember people talking about how beautiful the fall foliage was in new england. I didn't appreciate it. Sure they were fun to rake together and jump into, or make leaf rubbings of, but I definitely didn't gaze out the window on highway drives and think how nice the sun looked reflecting off the warm reds and yellows. So it's a good thing that I still live in the area and am able to appreciate the leaves. The warmth that's reflected kind of counteracts the shortened days. We got a bunch of great views, apparently just in time since peak leaf season is over in our area. I think we'll still head out on a few more hikes as it gets colder, just more bundled up.

No comments: