10.13.2006

curse.bank.of.america

Today was an exciting day for me. I paid off my bad credit card. This card's been with me since college, when I apparently signed up for it. At that point I wasn't really savvy on the whole interest rate thing, and this guy had what I now know to be a bad one. It stuck with me for years, and I would pay it down, then build it up again. The past couple years I've been paying a little each month, and finally bit the bullet and paid the balance. I'm really excited about canceling it since it's an mbna which recently merged with bank of america. I hate bank of america, and will do whatever I can to avoid dealing with them.* I can't wait until the credit card folks ask me why I'm canceling. I'll tell them two reasons- one, the interest rate sucks- two, I hate bank of america and don't want to do business with them or anyone affiliated with them. I'm giddy with excitement!


*A year ago, I used one of their atm's, and my card got stuck. Not eaten, just stuck. I asked one of the greeters to help get it back for me, and she said they couldn't give it back. What? She asked if I knew why it had been retained, and I explained again that it got stuck when it was being returned. She smiled and apologized and basically said I was out of luck. I went to my bank, and they implied that the b.o.a. folks were crazy. As long as I had a picture id and my card hadn't been reported as stolen, I should have been able to get it back. Because of the stupid bank of america atm and the supremely unhelpful banker, I had to order a new debit card which could have taken 7 days to receive (but the very understanding citizens bank guy put a rush on it and it only took 2 days). I used this card as my main credit/debit card, and had many automatic payments linked to it. So I got to go through all my accounts and change the billing info, and then had to memorize a different card number for logging into my account. All just three days before going to california. Horrible. I hate them. Hate them.

2 comments:

Zandrea! said...

Don't cancel it!! Your credit rating will be better if they see you've had a card open for a long time. Just don't use it.

stephanie said...

Ahhh....brilliant. See- I told you I wasn't very credit savvy (although I'm pretty sure my credit's pretty good right now!!)Thanks for the info:)