10.12.2006

high.school.phone.calls

I don't know about all of you, but I think of the phone as a way to plan stuff- dinners, meeting up for a drink, asking a quick question, etc. I don't tend to have really long phone conversations just to "catch up," except sometimes with my buddy who lives in san diego. Even that happens rarely. So. The other day I get a call from my friend *km* whom I haven't seen in a while, and who had e-mailed saying she'd call to catch up. Regardless, I was waiting for her to ask something specific, and felt silly when I remembered that we had planned this time to chat. It reminded me of being a freshman or sophomore in high school, and having a friend, melissa, who would call daily wanting to talk for over an hour. It drove me crazy. I didn't know how to tell her I thought it was a ridiculous waste of time considering I saw her everyday in school. Eventually I told another friend that I wasn't a fan of the chatty phone calls, and the news got around to melissa. I think she may have been hurt which was unfortunate. I didn't mean to hurt feelings, I just wasn't interested in talking on the phone without having a specific goal to accomplish while doing so. My chat with *km* was nice however, and once I realized that we were catching up like friends are supposed to do, I appreciated the time. It's something I could do every so often, but I'm still more interested in using the phone for a quick question, and saving the catching up for another time.

1 comment:

Jen said...

dude...I forgot about Melissa. You are NOT kidding about her and the telephone!