8.26.2006

prague.to.berlin

Took the train to berlin today. We´re staying in the largest hostel in germany. It´s called the generator. It´s pretty nice, although again...they cater to younger kids. For example..we have our own room. There´s a door in our room that´s locked, but goes to the next room over. In that next room over are four or five 13 and 14 year old german girls. These girls have decided that I´m to be their new friend. They talk under the door to me and slip through notes about silly little things. I think they´re really just having fun trying to talk in english to me...that and the fact that they are teens who think everything´s funny. I´ve been going along with it so far because I remember being that age. I may have to put a stop to it if it interferes with our sleeping. Sleep´s the most important.

On the more touristy things. While we didn´t have a long time to see berlin, we took full advantage of what time we did have. We split up, and I did a walking tour in one of my books. I saw the tv tower, the berlin dome, the arch, the state house (I don´t have my books with me, so don´t remember all the names), the tiergarten, the place where hitlers bunker was, the surviving parts of the berlin wall, checkpoint charlie, and the place that used to be where the bad guys hung out and now is some sort of memorial with something to do with torture. (I´ll look that up and get back to you on the names). I was most interested in the ex berlin wall. It´s one thing to hear about it and see pictures, but it´s another thing to be there. I really felt what the germans must have gone through for the first time.

No comments: