8.31.2006

amsterdam.to.brussles.to.london

Nice. We're in london now which is our last stop. This means no more eurail train trips, and most importantly...no more lugging around our (now) 45 pound backpacks! Amsterdam turned out great. We saw lots of beautiful buildings, and interesting sights. We took the train out to delft one day which was a nice side trip from our normal big city to big city habit. I must say that my main incentive for visiting delft was due to my reading "girl with a pearl earring" years ago. I braced myself for the fact that there was no way that the delft I had pictured from hundreds of years ago was the same delft that exists now a days. Still though...part of me wanted to see the old meat merchants and old clothing! It was a more modern delft than I had pictured, but beautiful none the less. We saw the old and new churches, and I climbed to the top of the new one for an amazing view of the market square, and the city. We took the train back, arriving in amsterdam with plenty of time for dinner. The next day (after buying some jeans and a sweater to survive in this arctic weather) we took an early train to brussels. It was pretty much our nicest hotel so far (excluding my fancy one in chamonix of course) which was a nice way to end our rough trip. We saw the sights, went to a free concert on royal park (super fun!) and saw a light show at the town hall which just happened to be in the most beautiful square in the world (according to victor hugo). Today we took the chunnel to london and made it to my friends house with no problems. It's so nice to be with people who know me, and who speak what I've dubbed as "american english". (ie- no australian or british accent!) I was so happy to see them, and will miss them so much once I'm back in boston and they're still here. At least I'll have a nice place to visit!

No comments: