8.29.2006

amsterdam.day.two

After my grumpy blog entry yesterday, I spent the day (rainy as it was) following the walking tour in my book, and then seeing some extra things I had read about elsewhere. Even though I still felt sick, I had gotten past the worst part of the cold. By the night, I couldn't taste any food (I don't know why this happens to me with most bad colds) but I could at least breathe through my nose again! I don't remember the names of everything I saw again, but I can give a general idea. Here goes: train station to dam square (national monument, city hall thing, old catholic church that was ransacked by those protestants years ago who destroyed most of the beautiful statues and paintings and is now used for exhibitions), to amsterdam historical museum (one of the "best"museums in amsterdam- shows how the land was manipulated around the amstel river to form the city over hundreds of years. Also has tons of paintings, artifacts, movies, etc about amsterdam), to another church, to the flower market (which was a great photo taking area!) to another cool building. I walked back down a street that was similar to downtown crossing, and got some jeans and a sweater at the h+m since the weather I was prepared for was not cold and rainy. I was set for the 100 degree day in southern france, portugal and spain, but not the 60 degree days in northern germany, amsterdam, and probably london. I had to re-pack and throw away some of my stuff to make room! We had dinner at a chinese/japanese place last night where I got vegetable/chicken curry/noodle soup that, while I couldn't taste it, felt good. We were back in time that I could get my toothbrush and earplugs out, and therefore had a great nights sleep. Today's a much better day. We're heading out to delft right now.....

No comments: