5.16.2006

wake.up

I like to read my brothers blog. He lives 3000 miles away, so I don't see him much. I was first alerted to the fact that he had a blog a couple of years ago when our Dad e-mailed telling me to check out the pictures of his leopard print hair. Nice! I felt like it gave me a way to keep up with him, so I try to catch up every-so-often.

A
recent post has to do with how hard a time he has waking up It's pretty funny- especially the part where he makes up stories and doesn't remember them later on. When we were in high school his alarm would go off and wake the whole house (minus our youngest brother who suffers from similar issues) and he would go on sleeping. He didn't even wake up enough to turn it off. So it became my job to wake him on my way back from the bathroom. (As I'm writing now, I realize that I'm not sure how he managed to wake up for school during his senior year when I was off at college. I guess that my Dad must have inherited my job.) I'd open his door, and yell enough to get him out of bed. Luckily, I never suffered any physical abuse or thrown objects as a result of this.

Our Dad was up relatively early to go to work, and was usually downstairs by the time we had to leave. One day I was angry with *b* for something, and "forgot" to wake him up. I got ready, went downstairs, and was on my out to the bus when our Dad asked where *b* was.
"I don't know." I said.
I can still see my Dad's eyes rolling as he heard the radio blaring and realized that I never woke him up. *B* had to ride his bike the three miles to school that day.

Maybe this was the training that eventually led to his current ability to bike very long distances (like 85 miles in 7 hours!). Maybe I should take some credit here?

No comments: