5.21.2006

old.doors.are.great

A few years ago I built my bed out of doors I found in peoples trash piles. I've always been able to build/modify things to make them work for me, but this was a whole new level of success. Quite frankly, I was pretty surprised that it all worked out in the long run. While I am great at coming up with ideas, I'm not the best at being patient. When I get excited about something, I don't want to wait for it. While this doesn't mean that I take short-cuts, it does mean that I'm not as careful about thinking things through and measuring them out as someone else (my dad) might be. So I was fully expecting the headboard and footboard not to match up, or the slats which hold up the boxspring to be to short. Miraculously, it worked out perfectly. Cut to present time; I have a big tv which is sitting on a silly little table. I also have a cable box, a dvd/vcr player, and a playstation (karaoke revolution- woo hoo!!), which are precariously placed on the floor and on a tiny shelf below the tv. In the garage I have a door which I found in our neighbors toss pile a year or so ago. This door's great- it's a panel style like the one I used for my footboard, and it's turquoise on one side and a yellowy-green color on the other. I've decided to build a tv/dvd/vcr/cablebox/playstation cabinet and use this fabulous door for the cabinet door. Actually, I decided this a year ago when I found the door. The problem was that the tv was wider than the door, so it wouldn't be easy to plan out. After much hemming and hawing, I came up with a plan that seemed like it would work. I'd cut the door in half down the middle, and attach a 2x4 to each side which would allow there to be two doors which would open in the middle. Over there's a picture of one of the doors clamped together after being attached to the 2x4. I talked with my dad (who's excited about this stuff too, but he's much more level-headed in the planning dept than I) and he said he could help me out saturday morning. So I drove out to my parents place at 10am, and am just getting back now. Clearly this project took a tad longer than I'd anticipated. It's still not done- I have to use wood putty to fill in some holes and paint the whole thing- but I can't wait to get all my gear in there! Here are two more pics- one opened and the other one closed. What I still can't figure out is who would paint a door these colors. Now maybe separately they're okay, but seriously...both of them together?? I can only imagine opening a green door and finding a bright turquoise backside. Maybe they did it for the shock value. Shocking it is. It's too bad that I have to paint over it- but I think it wouldn't complement my current room colors! I'll put one more up of the whole thing once it's completely done. Yay!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this looks awesome! maybe this'll motivate me to finally make that bed. i redid my curtains and got a nice little breakfast table recently, which'll probably tide me over for long enough that we'll be sleeping on a full-sized bed for the next several months. hah.

Anonymous said...

you are SO hired. I'm showing this to "k" (the OTHER "k"). we have a wide assortment of furniture we need to build.

there is a re-store in springfield, ma. you wanna go some weekend? there are also some stores closer to boston, and if you make under $50K a year, you get a discount. and if you make under $25K (or something like that) you get an even bigger discount. I'll look it up on my other computer & get back to you- its bookmarked & i'm too lazy to RE-research all this :)