5.31.2006

bob.rocks

Bob was donating platelets today when I was there. This guy's a regular donor too, and I see him when our days and weeks overlap. He's older- maybe 55-60ish, and he apparently started donating when he was 30. So I was talking with him today, and it turns out that he has given over 600 platelet donations- around 630 I hear. This is amazing!! I thought that I was doing superbly having recently received my 5 gallon pin (with 8 donations equaling a gallon, I've donated over 40- probably 45 by now). This floored me. Currently there are stricter requirements on the frequency with which you can donate. Platelets regenerate very quickly, so when I first donated (8 years or so ago) you could go in every 48 hours, but only up to 24 times per year. Once I really got into regular donations at Children's Hospital (about 2 years ago) they had changed the regulations limiting donors to every other week. In some cases (like when your antigens are matched with a patient) you can donate more often, but this is rare. Platelets only have a shelf life of 5 days (as opposed to blood which is 42 days) so I think that they wanted to spread out donations so there was less of a chance of having too many at one point, and then not enough at another. One of the technicians said that Bob held the Guinness Book of World Records for most platelet donations. I tried to look this up online, but couldn't find any category for platelet donations- just blood donations. I'm going to have to go to the library or a book store to check this out. If this is true, it's going to be next to impossible for anyone to beat him, because when Bob started donating, he said you could go up to 52 times per year. Since that number's down by more than half, it would take someone 2 years + to equal one of his early years. I'm intrigued. I'm always up for a challenge, but this is one I don't think I can win.

As an aside- if you can donate blood, you should. Whole blood donations take no time, and can be done every two months. That's 6 times a year, which would only add up to 3 hours total. Three hours to help save some lives. Come on now people- how can you make excuses when it's so easy to help. If you go to Children's Hospital Boston, you'll get a free gift- like a t-shirt with the "give pints for half-pints" logo. So cute.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

every time i see my blood bubbling into the tube and leaving my body i feel like i want to pass out, or puke, or both.

otherwise i'd be more likely to donate.

Anonymous said...

For the longest time I was sick and on medications and so every time I thought of giving love, I couldn't. This blog makes me remember I can now and I'm going to look into it! thanks for reminding me.

stephanie said...

I'm glad to have put this out there for people to consider. Obviously it's not for everyone (and brian- even if it didn't gross you out, you'd be deferred- sorry!) but a lot of times people who'd be willing and able to donate just don't think about it. Hopefully I'll rope a few people into it!