6.01.2006

can.you.say.

...pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis? I can.

The Red Sox were off tonight, and there was nothing to watch, so I switched on the Spelling Bee on ABC while I finished folding laundry. Now I'm the first person to make fun of these shows- after all, how interesting can it be to watch a bunch of nerdy kids spell words I've never even heard of. Strangely enough, I found myself completely drawn in to this show. I felt an attachment to the girl who was booted out, only to be brought back in when the judges realized that she had spelt the word correctly. She didn't win the whole thing, but she made the final three (all of whom were girls). I even liked the nerdy boy who was predicted to win. His favorite word is the same one that my own brother used to flaunt at age 7; pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis. I'm proud to say that I can pronounce this word (after just a little coaching from *b*). With this new interest in spelling bees, I may just go see that movie "Akeelah and the Bee" which I previously thought would be stupid. I'll let you know what I think.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I took some of my girlscouts to see Akeelah and the Bee and it was surprisingly good! It's definitely a feel good movie, but not (that) cheesy.

Anonymous said...

I got home late, but managed to catch the final two rounds. I have no idea why but I actually started crying when the blonde girl won. It was riveting television.