8.01.2009

relationship.trouble.

Though it's a little premature, i've been spending a lot of time debating between cars. My favorite little jetta, vivian, has been giving me some trouble recently, and i'm hoping she can hang in there until september of 2010 when i'll be in a better position to buy a new one. Vivian only has 80,000 miles on her, but is 9.5 years old and it's starting to show. Though i've loved her, i haven't loved the cost of fixing a vw, and have been feeling pressure to make my next car more worry free. This means a more "generic" car, ie- a honda, nissan, or (mechanic pete's favorite) a toyota. I have nothing against these cars, and find their reliability and low cost of repair very comforting. However, i wouldn't be excited about one of these, and would see it simply as a way to get from one place to another. My relationship with my jetta, problems and all, has been exciting from day one. I love driving her. Love how she looks, feels, pretty much everything about her. It makes me sad to think about settling for a car that wouldn't give me the same feeling. Plus, in a real relationship, aren't we supposed to choose true love over the safe choice?
That being said, i wouldn't go for another vw. My current car of choice would be a saab. Specifically, a 9-3 in either fusion blue metallic or carbon grey metallic. Though it would cost me more in the long run (and the short, i'm sure) i think it would be worth it. Plus, according to pete, the saab is less trouble/cost than the vw, so it would feel like an improvement to me no matter what.

4 comments:

Nora said...

Uh, my old car! HAHA! It is a really nice car, I liked it a lot. Buy from Jason! Well you don't have to, but he will try to help you out, I'm sure. He's the manager at a Saab dealership.

portia said...

Ooooh tough choice Steph. I do like the car you're thinking of, and liek you said, you're more excited about it... so go for it! Though I do have to admit I'm a good ole Honda girl myself =P

kai said...

you know, I've had my eye on a 9-3 convertible. In lime green. I'm not kidding. I don't know WHAT has provoked this (identity crisis due to turning into a mom?), but it's been going on for some time now. I don't even think they make it in that color anymore; I'll have to buy it used. The really sad part? I wont let myself buy it until Grant goes to school. As in "mom's free to put the top down & turn the radio up because the boy is in school."

I figure it's GOT to be cheaper than an Audi TT, which I would love to own, but refuse to spend the money repairing. And it's safer than the ducatti motorcycle I'd love to have. Stupid gravel driveway.

Nora said...

Seriously, ask Jason about the numbers. Maybe he'd give you a deal on maintenance and stuff. He's at the Allston dealership.