6.06.2009

leaving.on.a.jet.plane.

On monday, i will be leaving for a trip. First i'll go to kuala lumpur, malaysia for a few days, then to siem reap, cambodia for a few days, then phnom penh, cambodia for a few days and lastly, bankok, thailand for a few days before heading back to hong kong by june 17th. It will just be my backpack and myself, and we'll be taking the hostel route. I have to say, i'm quite nervous about it, which is party why i'm so glad i'm doing it alone. I don't like when things make me nervous, and tend to make myself do them until i'm not so nervous anymore. (Case in point- platelets. I hated having a needle in my arm for an extended period of time. I got so mad at myself for resisting donating because of it that i forced myself to go back over and over again until i was fine with it. Although now i'm deferred for a year, but back to the point...) What i'm nervous about is not being by myself in a new place, or worrying about safety, but is based more on the unknown. I'm not a pessimist, but i do like to know what to expect, what i'm doing, etc. Not being able to control every possible situation in advance makes me worry about finding my way around, having access to cash, etc. I think it will be really good for me to prove to myself that even if i get completely lost and no one speaks english, i'll be able to figure it out. It won't be all that overwhelming! Staying in dorms will also be a good way to force myself to socialize, since i'm such a wallflower and all. I'm sure i'll have some access to the internet, but am not sure how regular it will be. Don't worry about me unless you haven't heard from me by the 17th. I'd never miss my birthday!

4 comments:

Nora said...

go steph! i'm impressed and a bit jealous about your trip. way to go!

evil said...

the kids in/around siem reap are awesome. normally, any tourist would hate having a bunch of people trying to sell them postcards. but the kids there have so much charm and many of them are quite clever. one told me a clever joke and i just couldnt resist buying some post cards from him.

portia said...

Steph, you're going to have an awesome time! I wish I had the courage to do all that on my own. Bon voyage!

Shirley said...

I'm proud of you girl!! you are going to be just fine and this will be an experience of a lifetime! Can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!! Take a few extra pics of Angkor Wat for me! ;)