3.13.2009

T-59.days.

I bought my ticket to china! After watching the fares like a hawk over the past few months, i finally bit the bullet and will be leaving at 6am on monday may eleventh, coming back on thursday july 2nd. I figured getting up at an ungodly hour (maybe 3ish?) to fly there would be a good way to start the 20 hour trip. If i'm exhausted to begin with, there's more of a chance i'll sleep on the long flight which would make the 12 hour time difference easier to adjust to. Plus, the trip to the airport will be zippy.
I talked to the b's, and mentioned that my plan is to travel around a bit while i'm there. A. suggested sticking with mainland china because i wouldn't have to pay airfare traveling from place to place (which is where most of the money would be spent). I haven't done any research on this yet, but welcome suggestions. Just remember that i have no income, so will be sticking to more economical places- off the beaten track perhaps. 
My next item to deal with is getting a visa. While i don't need one for hong kong, i will for mainland china. Since i'll be there for almost two months, i'll likely go back and forth a bit, so would ideally get a multiple entry visa valid for six months (as opposed to a single or double entry). I hear there may be some restrictions on this, though it looks pretty straightforward on the chinese embassy's website. The main thorn is that it appears i have to either go to nyc in person to apply, convince someone else to do it for me, or pay an agency/travel agent to take care of it. And, they're only open from 9:30am-12:30pm M-F. Boo. Since funds are tight to begin with (and i want to save what i have for my trip), i may try to take the fancy $10 bus down there the day before good friday, get my visa that morning (since it appears to be open), and head back that afternoon. If anyone knows a better way to take care of this, let me know!
So that's it! Can't wait to be there and see my girls!

9 comments:

Nora said...

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

And said...

Let me know if you do the $10 bus-- I could take a day off!

stephanie said...

If I can't come up with anything else, it will be April 10th since I don't have my internship. I'd probably leave on the 9th since I don't think I could get a bus early enough to make it there before 12:30. I don't know where I'd stay, but whatever!!!

Shirley said...

http://www.nyconsulate.prchina.org/eng/lsqz/

Steph--read this if you haven't yet!! It might be tough to do it all in the same day. Call me with any questions...

portia said...

oooh best of luck Steph! it's going to be awesome. plus Shirl will be able to give you all the deets about getting ready =P

Evil said...

great article in the nyt about "off the beaten path" in cambodia:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/15/travel/15cambodia.html?8dpc

Sparks said...

I don’t usually encourage imitating Evil in any way. But this sounds awesome. Have a great time!

Evil said...

i find it mind blowing that sparks is now a reader and commenter on this blog. whoa. sparks everywhere!

stephanie said...

Yes! Welcome sparks! I'm honored to have you here and will try to beef up my entries. I bet my trip will give me some good new material- lord knows i need some excitement in my life right now!