9.04.2008

road.trip.

Here's a quick (or not so quick) recap from my trip last week.

Day one- the drive:

1. I woke up at 6:30am (after going to sleep at 12:30am) so decided to get an early start. I packed the car and left at 7:15am.
2. I drove for a long time and listened to david sedaris on my ipod.
3. I had a momentary panic attack while driving near buffalo. All of a sudden, there were large signs directing us through customs. I didn't want to go to canada! Luckily, i was just really close, not actually there.
4. Here's a picture of me at the half way point. 5. Here's a picture of the gps at the half way point.
6. I made it to my aunt's house in chicago by 9:30pm their time (10:30pm my time). Total road time? 15hrs, 15 mins including the three gas/bathroom/lunch breaks.


Day two-in chicago:

After a nice leisurely breakfast on the porch (with perfect weather), we took the train downtown and did some tourist stuff. We started with millennium park. Here's a picture of us and the bean (not its actual name, but what my cousins call it). You can see our reflection close to the top of the bean. Then there's one i took of myself on a concave section. I also liked this water fountain thing. They took regular chicago people, videoed them smiling, etc. and played them on the front of this huge fountain. When they purse their lips, water shoots out and all the kids run through. When that stops, water pours out from all over the place- like when you squeeze a sponge. From there we went to the chicago cultural center. They have this amazing tiffany's ceiling that was just rehabbed. The whole building itself was beautiful, and they were going to demo it many years ago. What a waste that would have been! We left there, went to the art institute, and caught the train back home for dinner.



Day three- wisconsin:

Leaving chicago at 9am, i arrived in milwaukee by 10:45, just in time to head out for the lake. We met up with about 21 other people who're long time friends on a.'s family and own a house on a lake 45 mins from milwaukee. Again, the weather was perfect, and we took advantage of it. I went tubing for the second (and third) time in my life, and loved it. I can't wait to go again! They also water ski, but the water was too rough for it that day. Then was a "booze cruise" on the pontoon boat at 5, and a bonfire with s'mores when it got dark. I want to go back.

Day four- wisconsin:

This was the day i've been waiting for...the turtle sundae from kopps. It was so good. So, so, good. Here's a picture of a good 2lbs worth of frozen custard, caramel, fudge, salted pecans, and a cherry. It's a good thing i don't live there or i'd be even more behind evil than i am now! From kopps, we went swimming at their club. I maybe swam off one of those nuts. After a great dinner at a.'s parents' house we watched a movie, etre et avoir. Good for people who like kids or french subtitles. Then off to bed for a very early flight back.

2 comments:

Nora said...

Ohhhhhhhhhhh fun!!!!!!! This seems like a great time! Can't wait to hang out again!

And said...

REgarding the house on the lake...do they call that Cabin Week when they go there?