6.19.2008

why.thirty's.better.

I can't believe how many birthday wishes i got on and around my birthday. People were quite literally coming out of the woodwork to wish me well. (Maybe literally is taking it a bit far, but it wouldn't have surprised me.) Not only did i receive cards, e-mails, calls and facebook posts from the usual suspects, but a whole new batch stepped up this year. My mailbox was full of cards for the four days surrounding the 17th. I've never been good at mailing anything, let alone cards, but i have to admit they were fun to receive. I know my mom hopes this will motivate me to write more often. Besides cards, my phone was ringing off the hook! Aunts who'd normally give a shout out through my parents called; my brother in texas called (amazing that he remembered when he forgets his own birthday); and today, my cousin kate called. I use to spend a month or so each summer with her outside of chicago when i was a teenager. I helped out with her kids and basically got to spend time with the part of our family that lived out there. Though i saw her in february, i never catch up with her via phone, so it was a great surprise to do so today. I think she just couldn't believe that i was thirty. My guess is that this was the consensus all around, thus explaining all the extra attention. Either way, i'll take it! I wish i could turn thirty every year!

2 comments:

Nora said...

Every birthday is 30 from here on out... heehee.....

kai said...

I was going to say - if you think NOW that you wish you could turn 30 every year, just think how badly you'll be wishing that at 60 :-)

I've noticed that 30 doesn't seem "old" anymore. Nor does 40 - in fact, most of my friends are in their 40s. 60 isn't THAT old anymore. 70 is officially old though. 70 is the new "Old"