5.31.2008

plastic.stretch.elastic.

I was talking with a friend about how we all do things we're not consciously aware of but that other people notice. For example, i use voices when i quote other people. You know, i'll talk about my mom, and when explaining something she said, i slip into a "mom" voice. Same goes for my dad, a., p.- probably most people for that matter. I wasn't aware of it until recently when p. pointed it out at dinner.
"Is that what he sounded like?" he laughed, "That's your dad's voice?"
So now I'm aware of it, but i don't always catch myself doing it. I'm sure there are tons of other things others notice that i don't, but i haven't been updated in a while.
Today was a little update. I realized that i say "fantastic" when i think something's, well, fantastic. There's a poem called kansas city octopus in a book "polka bats and octopus slacks" that uses the word fantastic. If you click on this link, you can actually read the poem via amazon's "search inside" to see what i mean. While on the way to e.'s first piano recital, i called something fantastic, and a. followed with "plastic stretch elastic." This happened five or six times today. I like the poem. It has a nice ring to it. In fact, i'd have to say it's fantastic.

3 comments:

And said...

My favorite was Kevin's voice when he was younger!

And said...

Also, Stephie's not an octopus, but if she was, she could have the fantastic stretch elastic pants!

stephanie said...

Oh right! The mickey mouse voice!!!