4.05.2008

product(s).review.

As i mentioned in one of my previous posts, i've been trying out lots of different eye moisturizers. Since i refuse to pay a ridiculous amount for a tiny tube (especially without knowing that i'll love it), i get samples at sephora from time to time. I go in, explain that i'm looking for a new eye cream, and ask if i can get a couple samples to compare. I usually leave with three to four packets of two different creams- enough to last me for about a month. So far i've tried five different kinds; decleor moisturising gel-cream, clinique all about eyes, cosmedicine opti-mologist, murad essential-c eye cream and caudalie contour cream. Since there is more than one product, i'll have to change the format of my usual reviews, and take them one at a time;

decleor:
Uses a caffeine derivative and plant-based firming agents to firm, and reduce puffiness and under eye circles. This is very light, almost gel-like, and goes on smoothly.

clinique:
This seems to focus on reducing puffiness and dark circles rather than preventing wrinkles, though it does claim to reduce the appearance of fine lines. It's very similar in texture to the decleor, and i can feel it tightening a little when i first apply it.

cosmedicine:
This claims to have light diffusing crystals that help reduce the appearance of under eye circles. It also softens lines and wrinkles and reduces puffiness. This one doesn't contain water, and is much thicker than every other moisturizer i tried. The woman at sephora told me to rub the cream in my fingers a little to soften if up before applying to my eye area.

murad:
Claims to "renew, brighten and firm the delicate eye area." This also contains an spf of 15, which might be important to some people.

caudalie:
If i remember correctly, this one contains grape seed extracts and claims to reduces lines, puffiness and dark circles. It's fairly light, and feels a bit silky on the skin.


I tried each moisturizer for several weeks, and am still using some of them up. Here's how they stacked up;

i didn't like:
The murad. The spf15 stung my eyes even though i tried to keep it out of them. Other than that, i didn't notice much difference between this and most of the others i tried. It's probably for the best since this was the most expensive, at $66 for 0.5oz. Ouch.

in the middle:
Clinique, caudalie, and decleor. These all kept my eye area moisturized without stinging my eyes. I didn't notice a huge difference in dark circles, and i don't have any wrinkles or puffiness to speak of, so i can't really comment on that.

i loved:
The cosmedicine. The difference in consistency with this one really made it for me. It was also the only one where i could see a difference, rather than just knowing it was preventing future problems. It brightened and smoothed my under eye area, and made it easier to apply makeup. While i won't be buying this for a while, i'll certainly request it when i make my next trip for samples.

Grade:
decleor: b
clinique: b
cosmedicine: a+
murad: c-
caudalie: b

1 comment:

Nora said...

I'm using Neutragena that I got from CVS. It's ok. But not too sure what it's exactly doing for me.