4.26.2008

new.again.

During the summer of '98, i splurged on this watch. I loved it, and wore it every day and every night. When the battery died the first time, i quickly packed it back in its box (which i saved) and shipped it back to the swiss army factory to have it replaced by an authorized dealer (in order to keep the warranty valid). It cost $5, and they removed a link from the bracelet for free. When the battery died the second time, i meant to do the same thing. That was over two years ago. Actually, well over two- probably more like four now that i think about it. I missed it, but the loneliness dissipated over the years, as i've had many temporary watches in the meantime. Today i woke up, and decided to get the battery replaced. I'm not sure what reminded me of it, or why it had to happen today, but that was the plan. I put it on my wrist, and vowed to wear it until it was fixed- even if that took a week. After bookclub and an eventful stop at the container store, et#1, andrea and i popped over to et#1's recommended jewelry store. Five minutes and $8.50 later, i left with a newly functional watch on my wrist. It had been so long since i'd worn it that it now feels like a brand new watch, one i didn't even have to pay for. Fabulous.

2 comments:

Evil said...

very cool! i feel the same way with my lucky eye patch that i bought in 1998. i wear it every day and every night too.

stephanie said...

Ya- that's a snazzy eye patch you have evil! I have an eye patch too. I wear it frequently, but not every day and night. See? I'm wearing it in my profile picture!