11.10.2007

new.low.

Today I acheived a new personal best in frugality. Andrea and i went to three stores; ikea, costco, and christmas tree shop. Costco for the monthly apartment run (toilet paper, detergent, yogurt, etc) and christmas tree shop to look at frames. An old friend and her mother showed up on the more recent commercial (all of which i hate) and alerted me to the fact that should they have them, i could pick up a few more black and white frames to finished off my bedroom wall for hundreds less than what pottery barn sells them for. They didn't have them, but i did get a plastic boot tray for $2.99 that will live in the hall outside our door come winter weather and wet boots. I also got some paperwhite bulbs which i've been wanting forever. While this was exciting, the real action happened at ikea. Before it moved to massachusetts, it was not unusual for me to drive four and a half hours to new jersey, spend three hours shopping, and drive four and a half hours back in the same day. If i was particularly tired, i might crash at my aunt and uncle's in westfield, nj. Since this was such a big trip, i usually spent at least $200 each time i went. Now that i have a 25 minute drive, it's easier to make more frequent trips, and therefore not necessary to buy something just because. Regardless...i generally spend no less than $30. Today my total was $7.33. I was so proud.

No comments: