9.11.2007

i.feel.so.grown.up.

I just signed up for three technique classes at williams-sonoma. They're offered free, and cover a bunch of topics. Here are the three I'm doing:

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 16 Autumn Braising
Braising is the ideal cooking method as the cooler weather sets in as it provides delicious, robust meals with minimum effort. Master the technique of braising and learn delicious ways to use it from tough cuts of meat, to whole chickens and even fruit.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 14 Knife Skills
Kitchen cutlery is redefined by each generation of cooks. Knowing which knife to use, how to hold it and the proper way to slice, dice and chop are some of the basics this class will cover.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 21 Pie Crust Essentials
In preparation for the holidays, master the art of making beautiful pie crust each and every time. Learn the techniques involved, baker’s tips for success and the tools necessary to create delicious pie crust. This step-by-step instruction will guide you through the process and have you ready for your holiday pie-baking.

They're from 10-11 on sunday mornings, and there's limited space, so if anyone wants to do them with me, call now. (I'm going to the chestnut hill one.)

4 comments:

And said...

This is great! My sister gave me two gift certificates to cooking classes at the Elephant Walk, so we'll have to convene after our respective classes and teach each other. Braising is soooooo good!

brian said...

Whoa, those are free? Those sound great!

stephanie said...

I know! When I got the e-mail, I immediately looked to see what outrageous sum they were charging, and was thrilled that it was free. I mean, obviously they're trying to sell stuff that we'll use in the class, but honestly, I'd be happier to buy something that they show me how to use!
Andrea- I love Elephant Walk. I forget what my favorite meal there is (I do have one) but if you learn how to make it, I'll hire you as my personal chef!

stephanie said...

There are also some other ones that I'm either not as interested in, or will be gone for. Here they are:

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 9
Basics of Fresh Pasta
Making fresh pasta from scratch can seem intimidating, unless you have a basic understanding of some pasta principles and benefits. Learn these techniques, and see how easy it is to create fresh pasta for your friends and family. Recipes will be included.

SUNDAY, SEPTEMBER 23
Espresso
Learn the essentials of how to make classic Italian espresso. We will prepare the beverage using a stovetop espresso maker and also compare the automatic espresso machines currently available. The class will also introduce variations of espresso drinks and provide ideas for some classic accompaniments.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 7
Cupcake & Cookie Decorating
Learn the fundamentals involved with cookie and cupcake decorating to create fun and beautiful treats for family and friends in time for the Halloween and the upcoming holidays. Understand the essentials of tracing, flooding, sanding and types of icing used to create different looks. We’ll share our favorite cookie and icing recipes to get you started.