9.26.2007

cooking.night...

...at andrea's. Taking our queue from my brother and his friends, we've instituted a monthly cooking night. Tonight was the first one, and andrea was brave enough to host. The plan was for each of us (andrea, nora and me) to pick a recipe, bring the ingredients for it, and all cook together. Dali joined us last minute, which was good because she was my sous chef. Being fall, our menu was centered around cool weather treats and ingredients. Nora made a fig and plum flognarde (her and it bottom left), andrea a potato something-or-other (I'll add the name in here once I get it from her (got it! It was a salmon, leek, and red potato gratin, with horseradish-dill crumbs)), and I made the sweet potato soup with caramelized onions from the "new england soup factory" cookbook. That's dali and me peeling the sweet potatoes up there, and andrea taking a big spoonful of it over there. Cooking with a bunch of other people made the whole process so much more enjoyable, despite the fact that our nice fall night was actually 92 degrees, and probably much hotter in a third floor apartment with the stove and oven on. Andrea joked that we really sweated over this meal! Everything came out great, and we're already planning our next meal at nora's house. Hopefully it won't be even hotter next month!

2 comments:

brian said...

That's awesome! The food looks great. Mmm, figs. They're so delicious! And cheap when they're in season, too. I can't believe it took me until just a couple years ago to find out about them.

Your hair's getting pretty long!

stephanie said...

Ya- figs are good. They're great because they're somewhat mild, but not bland at all. Nora's flognarde was delicious!

About my hair- many people have mentioend that recently. All in the past two weeks or so. I haven't really noticed it, but I guess it is! My hair guy liked the shape of the back last time I went in, so he cut it long instead of short. Plus, I haven't been back for a cut since June, so it's double long now!! Is it better long? Maybe I'll make a special post about that.