8.06.2007

wicked.

Every year, I go to nyc and my aunt takes me to see a broadway show. Technically it's for my birthday, but we usually go sometime in september or october. This year it's november since she's a world traveler and will be in spain for three weeks. We've been doing this for years- maybe nine or ten now?- and have seen many musicals (nine or ten). We saw wicked a few years back when it was the hot show, and it was great. I liked the whole theme of not judging people by their exterier, and thought the twist off of the wizard of oz was creative. Elphaba still ended up with the short end of the stick, and galinda was the hero (which was a bummer), but I suppose that's realistic in this day and age. Anyway. I saw wicked a second time when it was here in boston last year (incidentally, the T ride down there was what inspired this blog) and now it's coming back again. No, I'm not getting tickets. I'm a firm believer in seeing a show/movie/reading a book/etc only one time, unless it's so fabulous that a second shot is warranted (or you get free tickets, which was the case for my second trip). However, the b's are all going in october when it's at the wang, and since it will be the girls' first real musical that they can remember (I took them to the lion king several years ago for christmas), a got the cd to help familiarize them with the music and story line. They love it. They'd listen to it 24/7 if possible, and they know all the words to all the songs, and they sing along with or without the music. I've had to restrict cd play time to our ride home as opposed to our ride there (wherever there may be) and home. I find myself humming along when I'm not even in the car, and songs like popular and defying gravity are constantly in my head. It's too bad I wasn't this prepared when I saw wicked. I could be the understudy for just about anyone now.

No comments: