7.11.2007

maine.

I just got back from a three day trip to maine. My friend cindy and her husband just bought a cottage on an island near boothbay harbor, and I showed up to help paint. The bathroom was a fabulous color combination- bright turquoise walls, a bright pink sink cabinet, and a bright yellow light fixture. The floor had originally been brownish tiles, but had been painted a bright blue, and then white, both which had started to scrape off. The funny thing is that the floor actually looked white, and not so bad before we painted all the walls white. Then it stuck out like a sore thumb, so we decided to paint it a light blueish green (a nice color, not the crazy stuff that was in there to begin with) for the time being. They'll put new tiles down when they have a few other things fixed in the fall. We also painted a wall in the living room, four stools, and two chairs, and reupholstered the chairs as well.
We were talking about the saying that 48% of new england residents prefer the cape, 48% prefer maine, and the 4% left over are spread out over new hampshire, vermont, etc. I think I'm a cape fan, although that may be because it's what I grew up knowing. I love maine too, but there are a lot more mosquitoes, it's a lot colder, and the beaches are more conducive to "hunting" than anything else. We were hanging out on the beach yesterday (on a rock, of course) and I was watching some kids play in the waveless water, throwing seaweed at each other, and pulling in a lobster trap. Other kids were roaming around on the rocks with their buckets, looking for crabs in the pools left as the tide went out. I'm sure I would have been all over this as a kid, but as an adult, I prefer boogie boards, castles, and bathing suits full of sand.

No comments: