4.07.2007

e.y.e.g.l.a.s.s.e.s.

I love glasses. This is good, since I'm blind, and would be up a creek without them. I've tried contacts, but frankly, don't have the patience to do all that's necessary to wear them (you know- put them in, take them out, rinse them, store them, and do whatever else is involved). Plus, I love them! When I wore my brand new glasses to school in ninth grade, my friend *lw* stopped me in the halls, and gushed, "your face was made for glasses!" She said this with such conviction that I couldn't help but believe her. Today, they're a part of my persona. I wear them as an accessory, and take pride in choosing out the perfect shape, color and style every time I pick a new frame. Today I helped my sister pick out her first pair of eyeglasses. At 22, she held out the longest of all of us (our dad got his in 2nd grade, mom- high school, me- 9th grade, *b*- junior high, *k*- sometime in elementary school). So I got to acton by 11:40am in order to check out a couple of vision places before meeting some friends for hiking. We got to the first place, tried on several pairs, choose, adjusted, and paid for the favorite, and were out of there by 12:05. Not bad! The ones she got are really cute- a good shape for her face, kind of dark on the outside, but with a funky pink inside. I'm glad that this trip was more successful than my first- when I helped *k* choose glasses twelve or so years ago. We got him some roundish colored wire rim frames that I insisted were blue. Turns out they were purple. I didn't truly realize this until about two years ago when I found them in his room. The poor kid. It's amazing he's turned out so well adjusted.

No comments: