2.25.2007

three.movies.

Today was spent watching three movies- before the oscars tonight. I thought I would be home early enough last night to watch one of them, but then we went out for drinks. First up was dreamgirls. I'm not a fan. In fact, I completely lost interest, and cleaned up my room for the second half. Second was babel. I didn't have high expectations for this one since a few people had mentioned not liking it. I however, loved it. I loved the way the four separate stories were all woven together throughout the movie. It reminded me of a book I read recently that had a similar style- not that the stories were similar, but the connections were. Third was united 93. I'm not aware of anyone I know having seen this yet, but I'd heard a little about the movie from reviews, etc- mainly that they used little known actors or real airplane personal, and that despite knowing the ending, it was still an intense movie. This couldn't have been more true. If it were simply a hollywood invented story, I'm not sure it would have made it. However, knowing that this was as close as possible to the actual event made it almost too hard to handle. I barely moved during the entire 110 minutes, and my heart was in my throat the entire time. After september 11, I remember hearing about how the crew and passengers on the flight thwarted the terrorists, and how heroic it was of them. While I obviously agreed, I didn't appreciate how heroic they truly were until now. I don't think I've cried this hard in a very long time.

2 comments:

Zandrea! said...

Next year we should see the shorts together. let me know whent they are. I used to watch them all in Wichita!

stephanie said...

Definitely! I saw them at Coolidge Corner, and I actually thought about you, but it was on the Monday holiday when you were in puerto rico. Next year for sure.