2.23.2007

running.vs.training.

For the past few months, I've been half heartedly looking for some new gym shoes. I have some brooks running shoes which I got at marathon sports in september. (And fyi *j,* brooks are not generic shoes- they've actually been around a lot longer then nike.) Marathon sports is a great place to get sneakers- they make you roll up your pants, and walk back and forth in your socks. Then the guy (or girl) squats at one end, and watches how your feet move. Then they decide what type of shoe would be good for you (ie- stability shoes for pronating, etc). Then they put the shoes on, and make you do it all over again. Then they put you on a tread mill, and watch you run. Very thorough. I apparently have very straight feet, but low arches, so brooks are a good match for me. Anyway, I got the shoes a while ago, and have become privy to the fact that you really should replace shoes every so often. The other shoe fact that I've learned, is that there really is a difference between running shoes and training shoes. I'm regularly taking five hours of aerobics type classes per week, and have been wearing my running shoes until today. I've noticed that my feet slide back and forth a bit, and the outside of my left foot has been sore for a while. Apparently all that side to side movement is not supported by running shoes (surprise, surprise) and this could also be the reason my knee has been bothering me. So I got a new pair of running shoes (mizuno, this time) along with a pair of training shoes, which, while not attractive, are so much better for aerobics classes than the old running shoes. I'm now a convert, and will never buy cheapy shoes simply for looks again. I guess this proves I'm a grown-up now.

No comments: