1.16.2007

old.music

I found another treasure while cleaning out my closet in my parent's house (and yes, I've been practicing my circus moves on the devil sticks- I hope to be up to par in no time). I found a binder full of every music piece we sang/played in 8th grade chorus. This is special, because it was the year that I really started to love the piano. It all started with one piece-"over the sea to sky". It was one of the first ones we sang, and I loved it right away. When I found out that students were allowed to accompany the chorus on the piano, I was thrilled. By this point, I was thirteen, and had been playing the piano for six years. I'd obviously liked it (since I'd stuck with it for this long) but the idea of being able to play in front of not only the students in the chorus, but an entire auditorium full of parents, teachers, kids, etc proved to be the exact thing I needed to shoot my piano career through the roof. I brought that piece home, played it until I had it down perfectly, and then went back for more. I hadn't seen any of these pieces in years, and it was very exciting to find them when I wasn't expecting to. I'd just been talking about some of the songs this past weekend with *ba* and *ja* who were also in chorus with me in junior high. Ahh..the good ole days.

2 comments:

evil twin #2 said...

OMG! I sang that song in chorus in 6th grade. I didn't get to accompany the chorus on that one, but I did get to play "Drunken Sailor" in 8th grade. Why the affinity between sea shanties and junior high choruses?

stephanie said...

I don't know et#2, but that's a good question. I'll look into it and get back to you.
If you're looking to relive some sixth grade memories, I can hook you up with a copy!