1.27.2007

card.dilemma

Tomorrow is my longest friend, *km's* son's christening. This will be the first christening I've gone to that isn't for some sort of family member, which means that I needed to figure out what to get for a gift. My mom usually gets these engraved frames with the baby's dob, weight, length, etc. They're not churchy at all. The four of us have our own from our childhood. They're hanging in the living room. I obviously don't have time to do all the necessary research and get the frame engraved, so I had to come up with a different idea. I figured that it was appropriate to get a card and put a check in it. You know, for the kid's college fund or something. I was in acton for a lunch, and stopped at ralph jordan's and the paper store (gift stores nearby). The paper store actually had baptism gear- frames engraved with "bless this child", crosses with the lord's prayer painted on, etc. I didn't want to go the religious route (despite the fact that this is a religious thing), so I headed for the card section. It took me a few minutes to locate the christening section, but I eventually found it, only to be horrified at the options. Everything they had was super sacchariney. Pale colors, stuff about god, special days, and all the writing was in cursive. That was way too tacky for me. There was no way I was buying one of those cards. Earlier in my card search, I had come across a card I loved. It was under the anniversary section, and had a boy and girl on the front. They were looking at each other. At the top, it said something like "the first time he saw her, and the first time she saw him" and then at the bottom it said "everyone who saw it threw up a little." I'm totally getting this wrong. Trust me. It was funny on the card. You know, the boy and girl fell in love at first glance, and everyone else was so jealous, they threw up. Anyway- I briefly considered getting that card, and crossing out the "happy anniversary" on the inside and writing "happy christening." While this would work for some people (my brother once gave me a "greatest grandpa" card for my birthday) I didn't think that *km* would truly appreciate the humor in it. So I got a blank card that has a black and white picture of a baby's butt as he crawls through the sand on a beach or something. I figured it was good middle ground.

No comments: