12.08.2006

zippy.

Wow. I made my favorite veggie chili again, and decided to put in a little extra chipotle pepper(in adobo sauce) since I couldn't really taste it last time. The recipe calls for 1 and 1/2 teaspoons to 1 tablespoon finely chopped pepper, but I make only a half pot (since a whole pot's huge), so I only used one chili pepper. I'd guess it was about 2 teaspoons. This time I wanted to get more of the smoky flavor, (plus I had an open can in the fridge that was moving towards the trash- does anyone know how long they last once opened anyway?) so I used three peppers. About 6 teaspoons/2 tablespoons. Boy oh boy did I get some smoky flavor. I think the big difference was that I definitely got in more of the adobo sauce this time, while last time I had mostly pepper. My nose was running and my lips were stinging. The good news is that my tolerance for spice has been cranked up over the past few years, so while it might be too spicy for some people (cough..mom..cough), it's a-ok for me.

No comments: