11.06.2006

one.too.many

Before I go to bed, I turn on the tv and watch whatever happens to be on. Sometimes I turn it off, but usually I fall asleep and then wake up a half hour later to turn it off. It's a habit I need to break. Regardless. Last night I got stuck watching "one too many" on tlc. It's a show about people born with extra body parts- fingers, toes, heads...etc. Most of these people (I don't say kids since many of them were older teens) lived in third world countries, and they surmised that lack of prenatal care was largely responsible for the extra parts. There was a 16 yr old girl with 24 fingers and toes (one extra on each), an 18 yr old girl with an extra "leg" (it was more like a second torso complete with a belly button and hair and a y shaped end), and a baby girl with a second head. The head and the extra leg were caused by a twin who didn't survive and joined the other fetus. There was also a 10 yr old kid in India with 6 fingers on each hand, 6 toes on one foot and 7 toes on the other. The cool thing was that they all worked! So typing was as easy as pie for him! Generally, extra fingers and toes don't have any muscle control and just hang out. In most cases (except for the boy from India), they brought the kid to america or china, and performed surgery to remove the extra parts. They showed the surgery in detail, and although it was gruesome, I couldn't turn away...until I fell asleep.

No comments: