11.07.2006

holidays.and.holy.days

Last year, I waited until december to pick up the new inserts for my planner. Actually, that's not quite true. I went to bloomingdale's and tried to get them, but for some reason, they had stopped carrying the kate spade refills. So by the time I made it down to the newbury street store, it was december, and they were sold out. I ordered them and they got to me sometime mid january. This year I was more prepared, and grabbed the pack last weekend. I had a few dates to write in it too.
Today I was looking through the new calendar, and spent some time on the two pages that make up the "holidays and holy days." They list tons of holidays, and note who celebrates them- canada(c), japan(j), mexico(m), united kingdom(uk) or united states(us). Most of the holidays were pretty standard (christmas, mothers day, presidents' day, etc), but there were a bunch that were creative, and they are all celebrated in japan. Here are some examples: nation's foundation day (feb 11th), greenery day (april 29th), constitutional memorial day (may 3), children's day (may 5), marine day (july 20th), respect for the aged day (sept 15th), health & sports day (oct 8th), and my personal favorite, coming of age day (jan 8th). I think I may start celebrating some of these- along with all our regular ones of course.

No comments: