9.25.2006

i.need.new.friends

I decided that I need to expand my group of friends. Don't jump to conclusions...my friends are great, but I've had the same ones for years. This is a good thing (I'm apparently a good friend since I haven't chased many of them off), but it also means that I've become too comfortable (and this applies to my entire life- not just my friends.) As an attempt to start getting comfortable with being uncomfortable, I decided to do some volunteering. I wanted to get something regular going with habitat for humanity- I figured this would be perfect since I'd get to build stuff and be outside and everything, but their boston volunteering sessions are full until 2007. Next, I did a web search for volunteering options in boston, and got tons of info. A lot of it was stuff I wouldn't be interested in (things where I wouldn't really meet people) but there were several organizations which put together options in a lot of different areas. I liked this since I'd be working with a lot of the same people, but wouldn't get bored only doing one thing all the time. The first event I'm doing isn't until mid-october, so until then I'll keep up the search.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why don't you try making friends in the multivariable calculus course your in? I am sure they are interesting folks

stephanie said...

Ya- this was what I was thinking too before I got there and realized that I was in way over my head. I talked with the professor and decided to see what the homework looked like, but ultimitaly ended up dropping the course. Plus, there were at least 40 (of 79 total students) that were high school students. Great.