8.18.2006

nice.to.chamonix

Yesterday I took some trains to get to chamonix. This was the place I was second most excited about visiting (with cinque terre being the first). I got in around 9:30pm. It's a little town in the alps, so it was pretty dark by then. I had directions to the b+b, but since it was so dark I had a little trouble finding it! I ended up going into a nearby novotel (which the b+b said to look for as a landmark) and the manager helped me look the place up online. Turns out it was right behind us. I get over there, and a light's on, but everything's locked up. Short story- I ended up staying at novotel the first night. Despite it being more expensive than I like, it was exactly what I needed. I had a super luxurious room (at least to the part of me that was used to sleeping in hostels and cockroach hotels). It had a big bed with a nice fluffy comforter, a couch, desk and leather chair, a flat screen tv with cable, and...a bathtub! I spent the first two hours in the bathroom- soaking my soar feet, doing laundry, and plucking my eyebrows. I slept like a baby, woke up in the morning, and swam laps for a half hour. Ahhh. Then I checked out, and checked into my real hotel across the street. It was also super cute and nice, but you know..no bathtub! I walked the two miles into town, and got in line for the aiguille de midi telepherique. I had to wait about 45 minutes, but then got in the cable car with a bunch of other people, and had the most amazing view of my life. We went up to 3842 feet. It was cold and windy (it sounded like there was a roaring river nearby) so I was glad to have worn my warm clothes and to have brought my jacket. It was funny to be wearing tank tops at the bottom in the 70ish temps, and to see people with hats, gloves, winter jackets, etc at the top in the 25-30 degree temps! It was a welcome change from the 95 degree temps of southern france and portugal! The air was thin too, so I kept getting dizzy if I climbed something too fast. I took a ton of photos from the cable cars and from the top. I met some nice people who took some of me in front of mont blanc too. Tomorrow I take some more trains and meet *tm* in cinque terre. Fantastic!

No comments: