8.21.2006

chamonix.to.cinque.terre.to.venice

Quick update- internet's 8 euros an hour here!

I had to take five different trains to meet *tm* in cinque terre the other day. On one of them, there were these two german guys who were likely drunk (if not, then I pity them) and had a boom box which was playing some crazy german music about jagermeister. They sang along.

I got the cinque terre at 9:30pm, and *tm* met me at the train station. We found a cheap hotel (without cockroaches, thank you) and got a good nights sleep. The next day we did the hike through the five towns; riomaggiore, manorola, corniglia, vernazza, and monterosso. Rio to man was easy, man to corn a little harder, corn to vern was tons of up an down hiking, and vern to mont almost killed me. *tm* did the first three hikes, but when it became clear that the last one was the worst, and the third was hard, hard, hard, she decided to meet me in monterosso. I made myself do it, but my calves are very angry at me today. All in all, it was 9k, so about 6 miles I guess. Oh, and it was probably 90 degrees with 97 percent humidity. We went swimming in monterosso, had dinner and went to bed.

Today we took two trains to get to venice, where we are now. We met two austrailian girls on our way who took both trains with us. They were nice, and it was nice to be with some english speaking people for a while, especially since they had cool accents. Haven't done much here yet, but will do the tourist things tomorrow.

Also- I called my dad today in between trains from cinque terre to bologna to venice. I only had a minute, but it's his birthday, so I thought he'd appreciate a 5:30am wake-up call from me, his favorite daughter!! Happy birthday dad!

2 comments:

Evil Twin #1 said...

you are quite the stud for doing all the hikes. am reading kafka on the shore and am loving it. can't wait until you an tm get back. send post cards!

Zandrea! said...

Will soon have a post about how G and I are definitively NOT amazing race material, but sounds like you really are! Also just started Kafka on the Shore....