5.21.2009

shoe.search.turned.busy.day.

I drove to work with a., took the ferry to kowloon, and went searching for new running shoes yesterday. It didn't work out so well since asian people have tiny feet. The largest size i could find was an 8.5 US. But since i was already there, i decided to use the day and see the parts of kowloon i missed last time- namely the bird market, the flower market, and the fish market. I also revisited some places, including the jade market where i bought a $7 necklace. I initially thought it was fake (but at $7 didn't care- i just liked it), but am now thinking it could be real. I walked from a.'s office in central all the way up to the bird market,  dilly dallyed around, and walked back (taking the ferry across the water, of course). I was beat by the end of the day (totaled about 9 miles according to mapmyrun.com, not including all the back and forth between stalls, etc), and unfortunately, it was rush hour, so i had to fight my way through hoards of people in the street and on the ferry. Luckily, a. hadn't left work yet, so after sitting in her office for a bit (ah...sitting), i hitched a ride in her cab again instead of taking the bus back.

Fish in the goldfish market.


Bagged fish.


From the flower market.


Caged birds in the bird market. I sat for a bit and listened to a parrot sing and say hello to people.


In any public park or sitting area, there are always groups of men watching games- chess, mostly. Here's a picture i managed to snap without looking too obvious.

1 comment:

Julie said...

There is a lot going on in those pictures. I think I would be very overwhelmed the whole time over there but it looks like fun.
It's kind of sad at home without you here so maybe you should zip back for the weekend for Kevin's graduation so I have a friend.