5.29.2009

lantau.island.

On wednesday, the forecast said more rain. I decided to see a movie (in part because i wanted more of that fantastic popcorn). First though, i went to the gym. I had to make it quick since e. also had a poetry celebration at 10. I walked to the gym in the rain, and during my 45 mins there, the clouds blew away and the sun came out. A. met us at the school, and in the cab ride to central, she pointed out that i should take advantage of a nice day during rainy season, and go to lantau or lamma island (which i had been talking about doing next week). I hadn't prepared for this (no reading, checking time schedules, etc), but decided i needed practice flying by the seat of my pants. I was wearing good walking shoes, and while i didn't have my camera, i did have a.'s iphone which would be satisfactory in the photography department. So, i hung out in her office for a bit and looked online. While i was interested in seeing lantau, i was thoroughly impressed with the trip- much more than i anticipated. After taking the ferry over, i hopped on the ngong ping 360 cable cars and took the 25 min trip to the tian tan buddha and the po lin monastery. Though the fog rolled in while i was there (and some rain followed soon after), it was absolutely one of my favorite hong kong activities so far.

Some of my little tourist friends took this picture on the way up.


The tian tan buddha. It was huge. I could see it from the cable cars!


My favorite of the statues surrounding the buddha.


The po lin monastery. You can even see a monk in there.


On my way back. How crazy is this fog! It was also crazy windy up there- sounded like a hurricane and was more than a little scary suspended in mid air blowing around! That path you see down there continues the entire length of the cable car track and appears to be an option if anyone wants to walk the trip. I'd probably die.

3 comments:

And said...

Those are iPhone pictures? Not bad at all! Good job flying by the seat of your pants, too!

portia said...

This looks amazing! I think so far, it's my favorite part of your trip as well =)

Nora said...

I think this looks like a really fun day.