6.07.2008

brights.

The other day on my way to work, three cars in a row flashed their brights at me. I wasn't speeding, but i double checked, and waved to each car. Once i passed the cop, i paid it forward, and flashed a few cars coming the other direction. The strong feeling of camaraderie was satisfying, and made me think about how situations impact group dynamics. Not that we really had any dynamics- the split second in passing barely allowed us to see each other let alone speak. Yet we were all looking out for each other, even if it was just to stand up to the speed trap at the side of the road. I wonder if we would have liked each other, or if we would ignore each other given half a chance. Like in high school when all the students band together against the unfair teacher, and for a moment it doesn't matter who's cool and who isn't. I'm sure there have been tons of papers written on this topic, and maybe one day i'll read them. For now, i'll take comfort in the fact that most drivers are looking out for me. Thank goodness.

1 comment:

Tish said...

I like to flash my lights because I don't like cops, and I think it's really shady the way they hide out just waiting to ruin your day, I'm sure there are some nice 5-0 out there but it's a chance to f up the system which I love.